Infrastructure Management (IM) is the management of essential operation components, such as policies, processes, equipment, data, human resources, and external contacts, for overall effectiveness.
Infrastructure management is sometimes divided into categories of systems management, network management, and storage management. Infrastructure management products are available from a number of vendors including Hewlett-Packard, IBM, and Microsoft.
Among other purposes, infrastructure management seeks to:
– Reduce duplication of effort
– Ensure adherence to standards
– Enhance the flow of information throughout an information system
– Promote adaptability necessary for a changeable environment
– Ensure interoperability among organizational and external entities
– Maintain effectively change management policies and practices